Maskne, or mask acne, involves acne breakouts from wearing a face mask. Symptoms may include chafing and irritation, along with pimple-like bumps if you have rosacea or dermatitis.
You already have oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells on your skin. But when you wear a mask, these substances can build up more and block your pores.
Wearing a mask also traps humidity and creates a favourable environment for bacteria, resulting in breakouts.
There are several ways to treat maskne symptoms:
1. Wash your face regularly . Morning, night and after sweating or wearing a mask.
2. Use a gentle cleanser.
3. Use a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer.
4. Apply moisturizer before using a mask.
6. Take a break from makeup.
7. Wash fabric mask after each use.
8. Toss disposable mask after each use.
Although maskne can be frustrating, it’s important to keep wearing face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic. Regular face-washing, moisturizing, and wearing the right type of mask may help prevent skin problems. We are here for you and will be happy to answer any skin care questions you may have.
You can also register for a FREE virtual consutation HERE.
Wishing you the best of health,